in latin, it means “seize the day.” a more literal term would be “pluck the day (for it is ripe).” has there ever been a time in your life where you wanted something, yet didn’t do anything about it? maybe out of fear or worry? maybe because you failed once (or a couple of times) before? maybe you were afraid that family or friends would think it isn’t a good idea, or worse, make fun of you for it? well, i am here to tell you that YOU can do it! did you know that thomas edison tried thousands of times before perfecting the light bulb? as the famous story goes, when he was interviewed by a reporter on his failures, edison replied,” i have not failed 10,000 times. i just found 9,999 ways that does not work.” other notable “failures” also include:
- abraham lincoln failed in military, failed in business and was defeated in 6 different elections only to become one, if not, the greatest president of the united states
- michael jordan was cut from his high school basketball team, missed more than 9,000 shots, lost almost 300 games, was entrusted 26 times to make the game-winning shot and missed
- albert einstein did not learn to talk until he was 4 years old and did not learn to read until he was 7, he also eventually learned to do a little math
- both atari and hewlett-packard rejected steve job’s attempts at getting them interested in his personal computer
- walt disney was fired by his editor for “lacking imagination and no good ideas” and also went bankrupt a couple of times before he built disneyland
- decca records and columbia records turned down a recording contract with the beatles
- van gogh sold only one painting in his life, but that did not stop him from completing 800 of them
- 12 publishers rejected j.k. rowling’s book about a boy wizard before a small london house picked it up
- 27 publishers rejected dr. seuss’ first book, to think that i saw it on mulberry street
there is a saying that an expert is merely someone who failed more than anyone else in that field. so you see? winners make the most errors so put aside all your worries and fears and just go for it!
click the link below to download a free, printable 8×10 poster you can frame as a daily reminder to yourself to always seize the day!